W.M.A. closures!!!!!!

This is a PUBLIC forum for club related questions and other topics of interest to Ducks Everywhere and our guests. Messages in this forum may be viewed by anyone, and posts may be made by anyone who registers as a member or guest.
Joe Despain
Staff ('08 - Present)

W.M.A. closures!!!!!!

Post by Joe Despain »

Hey brent, talked to another person at lunch who heard the same thing about FEMA/ closing Dave Donaldson,Big Lake. not sure what all area's are included. Anybody Know any body that wears green jeans and aint sceered to tell ya, give em a call. For those of you who dont know what i'm talking about, there saying these wma's might close due to widow makers hanging from trees/ I.E. ice storm damage. :evil:
Brent Bryant
Founding Owner ('93 - Present)
Location: Jonesboro, AR during season; Springdale, AR the rest of the time

Re: W.M.A. closures!!!!!!

Post by Brent Bryant »

Are you trying to incite total pandalirium? :shock:

I'm thinking this is how rumors get started and spread, but who knows. What I understand based on a short little article from the Commerical Appeal that was posted on the 'fuge is that there are concerns about FEMA getting the clean-up done in time for the area(s) to be flooded on time. Does that mean that they could close the WMA(s) in question for the season? I don't know (but I doubt it). I reckon there'll be a hell of a lot more people wishing they had joined our club if they do! :lol:

I also saw in that same article that there is a meeting tonight in Pocahontas and Thursday (if memory serves me right) in Paragould. I hope some of you locals can make it and report back.
Richie Foster

Post by Richie Foster »

I would think that if they were going to close it they would have already done it.Squirl season came in this weekend and friends been coon hunting it all summer.
They say a little hard work never hurt anybody. Im just not willin to take that chance.
Joe Despain
Staff ('08 - Present)

Post by Joe Despain »

buddy called little rock today, couldnt get any straight answers.she did say that B. Lake would not be gettin any water until finished/ also nobody would be alowed to work or access any holes until finished. yeah i'm propagatin "the big rumor" I on the other hand hope it gets closed until second split. why? you ask, why not! :ugeek: word of the day "nebulous" look it up
Brent Bryant
Location: Jonesboro, AR during season; Springdale, AR the rest of the time

Post by Brent Bryant »

Here's a response posted on the 'fuge by a friend of Paul's:

I went. So here's the scoop.........

Cleanup begins with the FEMA contractors next Monday the 14th. After an area has been cleaned and cleared, which are established boat runs and roads than the public will be allowed in to do their thing. Supposed to be done weather permitting by Nov 1. They will post on the website the areas that they deem completed. Water in managed areas will not be held until after contractors have completed their work.

They were nice enough to allow people in beginning Sept 19th to clean debris out of the main river channel only. Guberment will not be clearing main river channel and left that up to the heathens to do that one.

The only other caviat was that if they got an overflow during the 45 days that they were done for the year and everyone was on their own.

That's for what it's worth. I think Joe's going to attend tomorrow's meeting in Paragould to check it out himself.

P.S. As a friendly reminder, please keep the language in The Duck Blind to a PG-13 rating. Remember, this is a public forum. More colorful artistic expression's of one's feelings need to go in The Lodge or The Truck (both of which are private forums limited to members and special guests) to avoid being edited as some of you may have noticed has been done. Richie and I appreciate your co-operation.
Joe Despain
Staff ('08 - Present)

Post by Joe Despain »

ritchie and i attended last nights meeting, heres what we took home. paul's right on all points , the whole thing revolves around money though,as the g@fc are getting paid by the cu.foot. you would think that more focus would be also to get the channels done in the process but that would slow down overall progress.that is why we are not allowed to go ahead and clear boat runs /holes for fear of missing a cu. ft. or two of free money. now you and i know that we will all benifit from the estimated 1.5 million smackers the g@fc stands to gain per w.m.a. right? :? so by all means dont saw up anything that might get counted in. also black river will be done by three crews working on the north end , center, and south end working toward each other. ? which way will the middle crew go, huh.. dunno. big lake on the other hand shows to be where most of the damage/ money is going to be made. the crews will be working from south to north, hence this is the way it floods.now my take is that they should be split into two crews so one would start at the structure going north. at any rate i expect to deer hunt alot because we wont probbaly have any refuge water till christmas. :evil: "why cant we all get along" the illustrious words of rodney king
Richie Foster

Post by Richie Foster »

If it rains this week so Im not working Im going up and take a look and see what it looks like out in the woods.I seen the damage up there after season on the boat runs and roads but I bet its not that bad in the woods the roads and runs and holes are going to be the bad places.
They say a little hard work never hurt anybody. Im just not willin to take that chance.
Joe Despain
Staff ('08 - Present)

Post by Joe Despain »

let your tax dollars work a little bit man. dont worry be happy man! :lol:
Richie Foster

Post by Richie Foster »

Didnt get to go up this week I spent to much time workin up at the farm getin ready to shoot a big nanny with my bow. 8-)