Send your input to AGFC for the upcoming season proposals

This is a PUBLIC forum for club related questions and other topics of interest to Ducks Everywhere and our guests. Messages in this forum may be viewed by anyone, and posts may be made by anyone who registers as a member or guest.
Brent Bryant
Founding Owner ('93 - Present)
Location: Jonesboro, AR during season; Springdale, AR the rest of the time

Send your input to AGFC for the upcoming season proposals

Post by Brent Bryant »

I just wanted to let everyone know that the AGFC is seeking input on the upcoming season. Ideas under consideration can be seen at:

http://www.agfc.com/!userfiles/pdfs/hun ... tation.pdf

Below is a copy of the email I sent them. (Whether you agree or disagree with my thoughts, I encourage you to send an email with your 2 cents.)

I am a 40 year old resident sportsman who hunts approximately 90 days a year. About 55 of those days are spent hunting ducks and the rest of the days are divided between Geese, Turkey, Deer, and Dove and Bear. Please consider my thoughts on the following topics as they relate to the AGFC waterfowl season presentation:

A) Government Cypress GTR walk-in hunting area.

I am not familiar with that area, so I’ll leave that debate between those that are.

B) Ban Airboats on WMAs

No strong opinion. I’ve only heard one once and it was incredibly annoying, but I don’t see it as a real problem where I hunt.

C) Boat Motor Restriction

I am STRONGLY opposed to a prohibition against motors larger the 25hp on any WMAs. Other hunting friends and I are incredibly frustrated that we are limited to the WMAs we can hunt because we have 30 – 45 hp outboards. What difference does a 25hp restriction possibly make? Even the local wildlife officers agree that it’s a silly law that doesn’t accomplish anything. As a general rule, the water is too shallow in the woods to make using a really large motor practical anyway, so it’s kind of a self-regulating issue. IF ANYTHING, the hp restriction should be lifted. That I can’t take my boat to Rainey Brake because it has a 30hp motor is ridiculous.

D) Canada Goose Season

I am STRONGLY opposed to expanding regular Canada goose season to 72 because of the resulting elimination of the late September/early October season. The “early season” provides additional days in the field. The additional of 12 days during the “regular” season would add few additional opportunities. Several of us love the early season, but I don’t recall any of us ever really caring about the length of the regular that coincided with duck season!

E) Duck Season Dates

While I don’t have a strong opinion about any of the proposed options, but do have these limited thoughts:

1) I prefer opening the season the Saturday before Thanksgiving, as we have done in years past;

2) I prefer a break of a few days right before and including Christmas; and

3) I like a 5 day break about the second week of January.

If that sounds familiar, it’s because I just described our season framework of two years ago (I think it was). While I had serious concerns about closing season at all during January (as I still do) since it is my favorite time of the year to hunt, I really appreciated the break to go home and take care of business at home for a few days – although, I’m not so sure my wife was equally appreciative!

Overall, I think you guys do a great job. Now if you’ll just get rid of those damn spinners (and all battery operated toys) on WMAs, we could all be happy. ;)

Brent Bryant