Turkey re-cap (w/pix)

This is a PUBLIC forum for club related questions and other topics of interest to Ducks Everywhere and our guests. Messages in this forum may be viewed by anyone, and posts may be made by anyone who registers as a member or guest.
Brent Bryant
Founding Owner ('93 - Present)
Location: Jonesboro, AR during season; Springdale, AR the rest of the time

Turkey re-cap (w/pix)

Post by Brent Bryant »

All in all, it wasn't a bad turkey season. After last year, it was down-right awesome; but still not like the good times of years past when I hair that grew down down to my back and Richie didn't have hair growing on his! :lol:

I actually didn't get to hunt much this year. I took Brock and his dad out for the youth hunt for one of a couple of birds we called in.

I didn't have any luck at all the opening weekend of the regular season, but I took a buddy of mine that had never killed a bird for my next hunt and after chasing the damn thing over 100 miles, all uphill, I called one in to 32 yards for him. I had the only shot though, and ended up letting the bird fall back over the shelf waiting on my buddy to shoot. It never happened. The moral of that story: No good deed goes unpunished. :( There was another crappy day of not hearing shit after that; and one other day of getting beat by a ghost bird; then there was a real good hunt down at Ryan's when I called up a couple of good ones off a late roost. The big one got toasted and had an 11 1/4" beard and 1" spurs. He was light one weighing only 18 pounds. Other birds killed in the area were lightweights, too. I'm thinking the ice this winter put them way behind the eight-ball to begin with.

Finally, I got to take my first trip into real turkey country when I went up and stayed and hunted with Scott Liebenguth (who some of you may remember from coming down to hunt with us a couple of days during the ealy season). The weather for the entire trip sucked to the nth degree. Cold, wet, rainy, stormy, miserable. You name it. Even with all of that though, we hung a monster bird up out in a field with a hen the first day, and then struck gold the second day with a nice flock of birds just outside of Kansas City. We called in a bunch of them that included three big toms, 5 jakes, and 5 hens. We killed two of them - with my bow. Whoo-hoo! Both birds had solid 1 1/2" spurs (not counting the one that was deformed on one of the birds) and weighed 25 lbs. One of the birds was 10 7/8" and the other was - well - missing. It appears it was shot off when it was drilled from behind [there's a softball for y'all to count the seams on :D ] on a follow up shot as we chased that one around the field.

Thanks again to Scott for he and his family's hospitality. Talk about some good eatin'. They took good care of me. Someone will have to remind me to be nicer to him when he comes down this year. :roll:

By the way, I had a chance to go visit Chris Campbell (our web guy) while I was in the area. After treating me to a nice lunch, we went back to his place where I got to meet his wife [another softball for some of you] and his dog. Have you guys ever seen a Kansas City duck dog?

Hmm.