foam or no foam??

This is a PUBLIC forum for club related questions and other topics of interest to Ducks Everywhere and our guests. Messages in this forum may be viewed by anyone, and posts may be made by anyone who registers as a member or guest.
Joe Despain
Staff ('08 - Present)

foam or no foam??

Post by Joe Despain »

guy say's to powdercoat the boat you have to heat it to around 400 degrees,that means the foam will melt from under the seats. is the loss of floation bad,would the loss of weight be better for speed??foam dont weigh much, but i like speed too!!
david colwell
Former DE Member ('09 - '10)

Re: foam or no foam??

Post by david colwell »

Joe
I have a duck boat with no foam. It's all good....until you need it. With no foam you are basically in an iron tub that will sink in a heart beat. I have had a time or two when I got nervous because I was taking on water. I installed TWO very large bilge pumps because of no foam. There may also be foam under bottom and sides of boat depending on the model. Why powder coat vs paint....durablity? Although I run a lot of big lakes and water w/O foam, I wish I had it for safety. I know there is a semi-pro 25hp boat racing circuit in Arkansas, but not sure taking the foam out will add much to the speed of the boat. Hope this helps
David
Brent Bryant
Founding Owner ('93 - Present)
Location: Jonesboro, AR during season; Springdale, AR the rest of the time

Post by Brent Bryant »

I agree with what David said. Richie and I had a boat at the Peabody recovered right away because it had foam. My boat used to have foam, but due to my modifications, it now has very little. I doubt it's eveb enough to keep it afloat. I wish it was though. Foam is good, but in its absence, there's always insurance (which is good if you lose your boat, but not much use to you if you drown in the middle of the Mississippi because your life jacket that you never wear is in your boat that is at the bottom of the river).
Joe Despain
Staff ('08 - Present)

Post by Joe Despain »

but i swim like a rock!!i could follow the pfd's down and retrive them for me and my friend's :lol: i know ;WHAT FRIEND"S
France Burger
Former DE Member ('10)

Post by France Burger »

foam is a good thing.....so are life jackets[that none of us wear-me included] might start though....especially at high speeds in the dark....yes I like speed too........I lost 2 friends last season who were older experienced duck hunters....they were on familair water[had hunted this spot for 30 years], were hauling ass in the dark, in the fog, fast boat, no foam, not wearing pfds and had waders on......they hit a submerged log that a storm had broke loose....opened up the hull like a giant can opener.....the only one that made it was the dog.....I NOW GO SLOWER IN THE DARK........
david colwell
Former DE Member ('09 - '10)

Post by david colwell »

Joe
I saw US 51's reply on the Ark. Refuge forum and I agree with him that waterlog foam weights a ton. No question about that and it would affect the performance of your boat. It takes a long time for foam to become waterlogged and genereally has to sit in water, not just get wet. Before I took the foam out, I would take the boat to a truck scale and weight it. If the foam is waterlogged you will be able to figure that out.

France's story is tragic, but most water accidents I have known about are from the boat being swamped, not destoring the hull. A swamped boat with the proper amount of foam will sink to the water level. This will allow you to hold on to boat and since you will be wearing in inflable PFD :lol: , you should be fine.

Technical question for the group:
Fall in water with waders....waders fill with water....do you sink or float with waders full of water?
France Burger
Former DE Member ('10)

Post by France Burger »

good question......depends on type of waders....been told old school waders in deep water will fill up and float you upside down......if you go in deep water best to come out of them...ball em up with an air pocket and use as floating device :idea: ....easier said than done....especially when cold......best to avoid situation all togehter!.....the 2 times I have gone in overhead I came outa mine....got to the bank[luckely it was close] and got to truck as quick as possiable....both times it was real cold..........sure you all will have fun with this comment/answer :roll:
Todd Teets
Former DE member ('09 - '11)

Post by Todd Teets »

Fall in water with waders....waders fill with water....do you sink or float with waders full of water?

I can answer that one, David. Happened to me 2 years ago.

I did not have my belt on my waders and wore my jacket over them.

I lost my balance and fell-trapping air in the foot part of the waders, which when combined with a soaked jacket made it difficult for a fat man to right himself.

If my son hadn't of been there to help me up, I believe I would have drowned.

Of course when I stood up all the water that was in my waders went to the bottom of them. Ever try to walk with 5 or 6 gallons (40 or so pounds) of water around your feet? It ain't easy! :shock:
"They take 15 yards to get on plane, but, once the boat breaks over, "sit down, hold on, shut up, and don't scream like a girl".
Brent Bryant

Post by Brent Bryant »

Todd Teets wrote:Ever try to walk with 5 or 6 gallons (40 or so pounds) of water around your feet? It ain't easy! :shock:
Damn if I can't count all 88 stitches on that one. :roll: :D
John Coleman
DE member ('10 - Present)

Post by John Coleman »

David
I know that I'm a new guy, but I do not want to be the wader sink-or-float test case :shock: :shock:

BEWARE OF THE PURPLE THONG
Richie Foster

Post by Richie Foster »

With waders on U float upside down...............

Joe, I would check to see if the foam is water logged if so it would come out.If not it would stay just my opinion....I know some guys that can paint (camo)the hell out of a boat foam or no foam... :D
They say a little hard work never hurt anybody. Im just not willin to take that chance.
Joe Despain
Staff ('08 - Present)

Post by Joe Despain »

c'mon coleman, i bet you'd like it!!
David Langford
Former DE Member ('08 - '12)

Post by David Langford »

big boobed men float-others sink-all i can say is keep the foam-and neopreme-floats :?
yall been here long or just gettin in
hang on boys were gona crash
Eddie Floyd

Post by Eddie Floyd »

Joe,

Somethng you need to consider is the weight of powdercoating. I know it doesn't seem like much but a good friend of mine rhino lined his Go Devil boat and it made it a lot heavier. Once you add another person, decoys, and a dog it was damn near impossible to control (As most go devils are anyway)... Less Foam, more raw weight... Just a thought..

If you get it to the clubhouse the first week Brent and I are mean camo can jockeys. My boat actually looks really good and it was done in the shop. After the first week though you may be screwed. Its all downhill for Brent as he begins his decent into complete asshole by the last week of the season...
"I should have let you die in that field"
Brent Bryant

Post by Brent Bryant »

Y'all do know I read this shit, don't you? :|
David Langford

Post by David Langford »

i thought brent managed his asshole syndrome issue really well last year :lol: :P
Joe Despain
Staff ('08 - Present)

Post by Joe Despain »

so that's what that is. i didnt kno they had medical terminoligy for that shit!!
Eddie Floyd

Post by Eddie Floyd »

Hey everyone... Brent reads this shit... Shhhhhhhhhhh... He doesn't know he spirals out of control into asshole mode by the end of the season. :roll: :roll:

Joe... Powder coat that bitch and burn the foam up... I'll be wearing one of these when I ride with you...

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no= ... .mc_id=gb1

(I am actually buying one)
"I should have let you die in that field"
David Langford

Post by David Langford »

better try one on first they can be really stiff specially in cold temps :|
David Langford